Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Wise Words

I always knew I could learn things from my kids but sometimes it catches me off guard. I was making dinner and Jim was trying to help me. I didn't want him to do something so I asked him to stop. Then my sweet 3 year old said to us "you are fighting and that makes Jesus sad" "your not being nice". So we both looked at each other smiled because our little guy was right and said we were sorry. Oh to have the innocence of a child, they really do have such wise words.

So after they ate I left for a RS activity. They had a dinner and a wonderful marriage counselor come and speak. He talked about how communication is not the key to a successful marriage. He said everyone can communicate when they want to. It's all about having a connection with someone. This really got me thinking, the world is so surrounded by ways to be connected with people. It is attempts to have a connection with someone. The only sad thing is sometimes the wonderful technology takes away from having a real connection with someone. It's so easy to say write something on your blog or on face book. But to actually sit down and talk to someone giving them your undivided attention is hard. (There are deeper things like having a connection with God but I don't want to go into those right now.) I am at major fault of not always giving my kids undivided attention or my husband. But now I know and understand why I act out or my kids, we are all just trying to connect with one another. It's given me new life to try to stop and talk and listen.

3 comments:

Reta said...

Very profound. I have to agree with you. Thanks for the update of the meeting last night, sorry I had to leave early. But I appreciate your wisdom. You guys are all great and we appreciate all you do for us!!!!!

Meg said...

We do need those reminders. I know I need to be better at giving my undivided attention. Darn tv and computer seem to control me sometimes! thanks for the reminders.

Anonymous said...

I love your insight. I've been trying to come up with the words to express my frustration of the instant communication the world is demanding us to be involved in. You're right, texts and facebook are great for communication, but there must be something more to make the relationship meaningful. Connection. That is so much more than communication. Thank you for the insight.